(93) Takehara, M., K. Kuida, K. Mori, 1979. "Antiviral activity of virus-like particles from Lentinula edodes (Shiitake)." Archives of Virology 59 (3): 269–74.
(94) Kim, H., S. Kacew, B. Lee, 1999. "In vitro chemopreventive effects of plant polysaccharides (Aloe barbadensis miller, Lentinula edodes, Ganoderma lucidum and Coriolus versicolor)". Carcinogenesis 20 (8): 1637–40.
(95) Yamamoto, Y., H. Shirono, K. Kona & Y. Ohashi, 1997. "Immunopotentiating activity of the water-soluble ligning rich fraction prepared from LEM - the extract of the solid culture medium of Lentinula edodes mycelia." Bioscience, Biotechnology & Biochemistry Nov.; 61(11):1909-12.
(96) Morinaga, H., K. Tazawa, H. Tagoh, A. Muraguchi, and M. Fujimaka, 1994. "An in vivo study of hepatic and splenic interleukin-1 beta mRNA expression following oral PSK or LEM administration." Japanese Journal of Cancer Research Dec. 85(12): 1298-1303.
(97) Hibino, Y., Y. Konishi, J. Koike, T. Tabata, Y. Ohashi and N. Sugano, 1994. "Productions of interferon-gamma and nitrite are induced in mouse splenic cells by a heteroglycan-protein fraction from culture medium of Lentinula edodes mycelia." Immunopharmacology July-Aug 28(1); 77-85.
(98) Hatvani, N., 2001. "Antibacterial effect of the culture fluid of Lentinula edodes mycelium grown in submerged liquid culture." International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents Jan: 17(1):71-4.
(99) Hirasawa, M., N. Shouji, T. Neta, K. Fukushima & K. Takada, 1999. "Three kinds of antibacterial substances from Lentinus edodes (Berk.) Sing. (shiitake, an edible mushroom)." International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents Feb; 11(2):151-157.
(100) Sugano et al., 1982. "Anti carcinogenic actions of water-soluble and alcohol-insoluble fractions from culture medium of Lentinus edodes mycelia." Cancer Letters 17: 109-114.
(101) Gu, Y.H. and M.A. Belury, 2005. "Selective induction of apoptosis in murine skin carcinoma cells (CH72) by an ethanol extract of Lentinula edodes." Cancer Letters 220(1): 21-28.
(102) Mizuno, T., H. Saito, T. Nishitoba & H. Kawagishi, 1995. "Antitumor active substances from mushrooms." Food Reviews International 111: 23-61. Marcel Dekker, New York.
(103) Yap, A.T. & M.L. Ng, 2002. "Lentinan as possible 'oral vaccine' against tumor development." Proceedings of the 7th International Mycological Congress Oslo 11-17 August, pg. 54.
(104) Sia, G.M. & J.K. Candlish, 1999. "Effect of shiitake (Lentinus edodes) extract on human neutrophils and the U937 monocytic cell line." Phytotherapy Research Mar; 13(2): 133-137.
(105) Oka et al., 1992. "Immunological analysis and clinical effects of intraabdominal and intrapleural injection of lentinan for malignant ascites and pleural effusion." Biotherapy 5: 107-112.
(106) Kurashige, S., Y. Akuzawa and F. Endo, 1997. "Effects of Lentinus edodes, Grifola frondosa and Pleurotus ostreatus administration on cancer outbreak, and activities of macrophages and lymphocytes in mice treated with a carcinogen, N-butyl-N-butanolnitrosamine." Journal of Immunopharmacology-and-Immunotoxicology May; 19(2): 175-183.
(107) Taguchi et al., 1982. "Clinical trials on lentinan (polysaccharide)." In Yamamura, Y. et al. (eds) Immunomodulation by Microbial Products and Related Synthetic Compounds, pp. 467-475. Elsevier Science Pub. Co., New York.
(108) Chihara, G. et al., 1969. "Inhibition of mouse sarcoma 180 by polysaccharides from Lentinus edodes (Berk.) Sing. Nature 222: 637-688.
(109) Ikekawa, T., N. Uehara, Y. Maeda, M. Nakanishi and F. Fukuoka, 1969. "Antitumor activity of aqueous extracts of edible mushrooms." Cancer Research 29: 734-735.
(110) Chihara, G., 1987. "Antitumor and metastasis-inhibitory activities of lentinan as an immunomodulator: an overview." Cancer Det. Prev. Suppl. 1: 423/443.
(111) Hawkins, E., 2001. "Arabinoxylane: immune support from mushrooms." Natural Pharmacy 21, 26.
(112) Ghoneum, M. 1995. "Immunomodulatory and anti-cancer properties of (MGN-3), a modified xylose from rice bran, in 5 patients with breast cancer." Abstract, 87th Meeting Am. Ass. Cancer Res. (AACR) special conference: "The Interference between Basic and Applied Research" November 5-8, 1995. Baltimore, MD.
(113) Ghoneum, M., 1998. "Enhancement of human natual killer cell activity by modified arabinoxylane from rice bran (MGM-3)." International Journal of Immunotherapy XIV(2) 89-99.
(114) Sarkar, S., J. Koga, R.J. Whitley and S. Chatterjee, 1993. "Antiviral effect of the extract of culture medium of Lentinus edodes mycelia on the replication of herpes simplex virus 1." Antiviral Research. April 20(4): 293-303.
(115) Suzuki, H., K. Iiyama, O. Yoshida, S. Yamazaki, N. Yamamoto and S. Toda, 1990. " Structural characterization of immunoactive and antiviral water-solubilized lignin in an extract of the culture medium of Lentinus edodes mycelia (LEM)" Agricultural and Biological Chemistry Feb. 54(2): 479-87.
(116) Gordon, M., B. Bihari, E. Goosby, R. Gorter, M. Greco, M. Guralnik, T. Mimura, V. Rudinicki, R. Wong & Y. Kaneko, 1998. "A placebo-controlled trial of the immune modulator, lentinan, in HIV-positive patients: a phase I/II trial." Journal of Medicine 29 (5-6): 305-330.
(117) Ghoneum, M., 1998. "Anti-HIV activity in vitro of MGN-3, an activated arabinoxylane from rice bran." Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 243: 25-29.
(118) Hatvani, N., 2001. "Antibacterial effect of the culture fluid of Lentinus edodes mycelium grown in submerged liquid culture." International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents Jan: 17(1):71-4.
(119) Aoki, T. et al., 1987. "Low natural killer sydrome: Clinical and immunologic features." Nat. Immun. Cell. Growth Regul. 6: 116-28.
(120) Tsujinaka, T., M. Yokota, J. Kambayashi, M.C. Ou, Y. Kido and T. Mori, 1990. "Modification of septic processes by beta-glucan administration." European Surgical Research 22(6): 340-346.
Please visit our sponsors via ads!
Back to top: Lentinula edodes
|CHART - Mushrooms' Therapeutic Effect|
|INDEX - Mushrooms & Health Conditions|
|Please visit our sponsors via ads!|
Please note that the claims on this page and this web-site have not yet been verified by the FDA. We recommend that you consult a licensed medical practitioner before using any substance for medicinal purposes.
Credits: Thank you to Paul
Stamets for source material about fungi &